It is October 15, the traditional opening day of the job search season. I have a few suggestions for people going on campus visits — suggestions others may not have covered yet.
1. Good facilities are rare. Take note of the schools that have these.
2. Think of yourself as a colleague, not as an aspirant or a student.
3. That does not mean to think of yourself as a senior colleague.
4. Remember that even senior colleagues, when they are new hires, lead first by following.
5. Go with your gut feeling when choosing jobs. (And do not confuse this with your imagination about how things “should” or “must” be.)