This post is a footnote to the Spanish Professor’s excellent discussion of the case of Rebecca Schuman, who has taken a certain amount of abuse lately and of whose situation I am now somewhat better apprised than I have been. I have a few non-Power points to make.
1. Schuman is in German. Do you have any idea what the job market is like in German? People brighter and more invested than many of the rest of us, are unemployed. Going through the market in that field is truly harrowing and it causes people real pain.
2. She is brave to be writing about it and while one may disagree with some statements and views, treating her as a traitor to the cause does make academia seem cultish.
3. This is her bio at OSU. Does she look like a slouch?
4. This is an op/ed she wrote in 2013. Can you write on professional issues with more verve?
5. Frankly, people who require complete loyalty at all times should really be complaining about me more than about her — I who have not appreciated the opportunities I have had fully enough, I who have not tolerated workplace harassment well enough, I who threw my talents away for decades, I who have broken every hallowed rule, I who have been occupying a professorship as I dreamed of other projects and other worlds.
6. Or, if you are truly serious, you will start putting in some work to right the things that are wrong with funding formulae now, rather than rag on the people the system has spit out.
7. The rest is silence.