These things are related to each other in the way that the Gothic is related to abuse, but the reason I have been thinking about both today is coincidental.
I should read this book, I do not feel magical realism is a useful or interesting category but it appears others still do.
On the harassment: I took the annual training today. The takeaways:
- the harassment I have experienced is and was real
- the lack of people to report to was and still is serious
- the effect it has had on me is real and is science
- importantly: saying “I don’t want to make it worse” and so on, as our administrators do when they refuse to face things / deal with things, is part of the problem
- I have experienced serious retaliation for trying to exercise normal rights and for speaking up